Site news

A note about using Moodle through the portal

Picture of Aaron Kerr
by Aaron Kerr - Wednesday, March 8, 2006, 9:46 AM

First of all, if you haven't yet used the My Alma portal, you can visit it at:

http://my.alma.edu

Once you're logged into the portal, you should see a Moodle tab that will allow you to use Moodle without having to sign in again.  When you're done using Moodle through the portal, you don't have to log out of Moodle specifically using its "Logout" link.  Instead, you can simply log out of the entire portal  (using the Logout link in the upper right hand corner of the portal) and then close your browser (for security reasons).
Picture of Britt Cartrite
Re: A note about using Moodle through the portal
by Britt Cartrite - Thursday, March 9, 2006, 8:24 AM

Aaron,

How do we return to the portal from Moodle?  When I am in Moodle the window is maximized (IE) and I lose the ability to move back into the portal.

Again, nice work!

Picture of John Ottenhoff
by John Ottenhoff - Wednesday, March 15, 2006, 11:38 AM

I'm having an issue printing out pages from Moodle--especially multi-page jobs like a discussion forum--within the Portal; has anyone else had similar problems? For instance, I printed out 4 pages of a discussion forum with no problems when viewing the forum outside the Portal, but when printing from the Portal view of Moodle got only the forum framework, with none of the posts. Any fix for this?
Picture of Anthony Romano
by Anthony Romano - Friday, June 23, 2006, 2:23 PM

you can always print screen... the key is above the delete and home keys on a standard key board, just past the F# keys... hitting that will copy an image of the screen, and you can paste it in a paint file, then just cut out the stuff you dont need...
Picture of Jenna Skrine
Alma Portal Frame answer
by Jenna Skrine - Tuesday, September 5, 2006, 6:27 PM

If you use the text link in the upper right of the Alma Portal bar, it will open Moodle in a new window. However, if you want to be able to return to Portal/Webmail/etc, open Moodle using the tab under the Alma College logo to the left (that way you won't lose the Alma Portal frame).

Really, I think having the tab and the text link are just confusing people >.<
Picture of Aaron Kerr
Re: Alma Portal Frame answer
by Aaron Kerr - Wednesday, September 6, 2006, 10:59 AM

Jenna:

Thanks for pointing that out.  I agree that having two links to the Moodle system is confusing.  The text link in the upper right will be removed soon for simplfication.  I also made a fix to the system that will help Moodle stay properly embedded in the portal when using it through its own tab.

Aaron
Picture of Janet Navarro
by Janet Navarro - Sunday, August 27, 2006, 1:06 PM

But, what if you just want to go back to webmail or registration and don't want to log out of the portal. Where is the tab to go back to the portal? Am I missing something?
Picture of Aaron Kerr
by Aaron Kerr - Wednesday, September 6, 2006, 10:57 AM

Janet:

There was a small bug in how Moodle was embedded in the portal.  There was a tendency when clicking through certain areas of Moodle to have it "take over" your window, thus losing the Portal framework and the ability to click back into another tab, such as Webmail.

I believe I have located the source of that problem and resolved it.  Moodle should do much better now about keeping it's proper placement inside the portal.

Aaron
Picture of Katie Seagraves
courses
by Katie Seagraves - Wednesday, September 6, 2006, 9:44 AM

How come my classes are not listed under the courses selection? How do I get them to show up?

Thank you,

Katie Seagraves

Picture of Aaron Kerr
Re: courses
by Aaron Kerr - Wednesday, September 6, 2006, 10:53 AM

Katie:

Your courses are all present now.  Enjoy!

Aaron
Picture of Gabriel Mabille
course ? + how to obtain texts or documents given by teachers troughout Moodle ?
by Gabriel Mabille - Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 4:32 PM

Hi, I have problems within Moodle to try to access to the moodle page of the class i am following or obtain the documents given to the students by the teacher throughout Moodle...

At the beginning of september I gave to the Registrar's office a document with the class I am following so I think that I am registered on the administrative level but I could not have an access to the Moodle network for this class...

Thank you very much for your help.